Sunday, August 28, 2011

WEEK ONE

So with this being week one I was mend to start the big stuff and get out there and notch up the miles... Well things didn't start off very well as you know I'm sick!!!

Monday I still went up to the club, and after sending the guys off on a recovery run I sat down and drank a couple of beers...

Tuesday I still wasn't running, and again I popped up to the club to ensure the lazy guys were training properly!!! On the program tonight was 2km reps... I didn't hang around the club, but set off home stopping at my parents house to see how my Mom was doing... She fell in the river on the weekend and broke her foot!!!

Wednesday I thought I should put on my running shoes again and jog 5km. We (my wife and I) had plans later, so I didn't go up to the club, but went with Dawn to VOB to run the 5km TT. I didn't run with Dawn I tried to run hard, I did run hard... it was hard but not very fast (by my standards) I was only about to manage half marathon pace, and I was finished.

Thursday I took the boys for a trail run in the forest. I think I'm getting better.

After taking Friday off I was up for an easy race!!! So Saturday we drove out to Atlantis for a 15km race. I didn't want to race it was really part of a longish run... I started off with 4.5km warm up and was feeling good at the start. Then things started to look good, only Shaun was there, I had a good shot at 2nd place. I went out at an "easy" (it is a little down hill) 3:35 3:34 3:34 3:34 3:33. At this stage I was running with another 40+ but he was always going and that 2nd place was mine... In fact he even fell off the pace a bit before we slowed on the flat through 6 and 7 3:44 3:44 very light wind from behind 3:39.
Then from nowhere we were caught from behind!!! Yes he was 40+... Gavin told me to go, so I upped my pace to keep my place. 3:34 3:28... but that was all I had. I had planned on staying with him till we turned for the climb to the finish. He had dropped me before I could drop him. I didn't have my hill climbing strength back! I was now running in no-mans land so I just kept going 3:46 (only half hill) 3:53 3:53 3:53 and the flat km into the wind and finish 3:49. Mr. Garmin only added another 3sec after 15km to take my to the finish in 55:22.
I didn't stand around waiting for Dawn I ran back for her and was about to get in another 3km giving me 22.5km for the morning.

Sunday morning I slept in a bit and only had time for 17.5km before Church. So I might have 40km for the weekend, but I haven't been on the mountain to get the long hours in. And Yes they are needed my next 2 races are going to take me 4-5 hours!!!

Monday we start again...

3 comments:

  1. glad you're feeling better! Normally, downtime would help your race time but your racing kicks ass even on high mileage weeks...what kind of prizes do you win over there? Here on the east coast of the US an overall win in a local 5k or 10k can get you $100 or a gift card to a shoe store. Sometimes trophies. Bigger races, bigger money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entry fee was R 40.00 for the 15km with weekend and the prize money was as follows:
    MEN and WOMEN)
    1st 2nd 3rd
    OPEN R700 R400 R300
    40-49 R350 R300 R200
    50-59 R300 R200 R150
    60+ R200 R150 R100
    15–19 R150 R100 R75

    That was better than most races, but the bigger races will have more money up for grabs.

    There is always money on the cards, now since the races are run every weekend you get to know the guys as we have all be running for years so I know if there is a chance of a top 3...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you are sick, though sounds like the race went awesome!

    You are the fastest person that I follow the blog of, it is always fun to read your recaps and pics of where you run - gorgeous surroundings.

    Honestly I'm actually shocked that one of my all time race times is faster than yours, you seem like a superman runner to me. No way that I can beat my times from high school at the short distances, at the longer distances it might be possible but it will be hard. And no way that I will ever beat one of your times, haha

    My sister is indeed super fast!

    ReplyDelete