Monday, August 2, 2010

IS RUNNERSWORLD, RUNNER'S WORLD?

I gave up subscribing to Runnersworld a long time ago, why you might ask. Well I had read it all before. For 10+ years RW hadn't had a new article in it The same things had been thrashed out month after month, year after year: Run Your Best 10km, 6 Weeks to Your 10km PB, The Only 10km Program You Will Ever Need, 10 Weeks to Your First 10km Race...

After a 2 week layoff for a hamstring injury I was back running again, and joined Dawn for the 10km race in Pinelands. At the entry tables they were handing out back copies of RW. I was lucky to lay my hands on 5 different months from Dec '09 to June '10. I was keen to see if they had any new articles. Well to my utter surprise not one of the old articles were there. Dec '09's cover boasted articles like: "Shape of Your Life 21 easy ways to get slim & strong", "Get More Flexible 3 easy moves", "Beat stress", "The Heat Factor", "Drop 2 Kilos (or 5 ... or 25)", and that was just Dec '09. The other months weren't any better; "Lose 4kg", "Buy a New Outfit", "Better breakfast", "The Mommy Problem". So it looks like RW has lost it's few articles from the 80's and has found a couple of 'Shape', 'Cosmo', 'Menshealth', and 'GQ' articles to use instead.

I'm not saying it's a bad magazine it's just not RW it's Jogger's World!!! But then that might be the way to go as all the big races are about the back runner (shouldn't use runner here) who requires 3hours+ to finish a half...

No comments:

Post a Comment